High-quality meat – the maturation makes it
For successful meat ripening, it takes three things: clean craftsmanship, patience and good quality at the starting meat. Because only healthy cattle produce tasty Dry Aged Beef. When buying meat, you should look carefully.
Why good meat tastes best
Freshly slaughtered meat does not taste. It is only through the natural ripening process that it becomes edible. Beef tastes best when it is allowed to mature dry. In order to develop the particular variety of flavors during the Dry Aged meat ripening, the meat piece itself must be of a good quality. The taste components need an even fat marmoration in the muscle meat in order to be able to fully develop. Fat is an important flavor. The leaner the meat is, the more dry it becomes. By the firmer muscles of free-roaming animals, the part also shrinks less during meat maturation.
How high-quality meat is produced
In order to obtain a juicy, delicate and savory piece of meat after the meat ripening, the conditions must be right from the start. This starts with the breeding of the animals.
A proper attitude and varied feeding plays a big role, as well as the stressfulness during the slaughter. For the desired meat marinating, movement, fresh willow feed and slow growth are important. The animals should be permitted to grow to full maturity. This is because, in old age, spices are present.
Also the breed has an influence on the meat quality. The Angus, Wagyu or the Red Heifer beef are considered to be particularly suitable for Dry Age meat ripening. In short, one could say happy cattle are the best choice.
The quality test for meat ripening
- The fiberization of the meat depends on the age and sex of the animals. Too coarse fibers become less delicate during meat ripening. Young beef meat naturally has a coarser structure, while beef is particularly fine-fiber. For the dry aging the best is the meat of heifers, young cows up to 2 years, which have not yet calved.
- Aromatic Dry Aged Beef needs an even fat marmorouring through the meat. In the case of fattened animals from massaging the fat layer is mostly external, the inner part lean. This creates rapid mold on the crust and the meat becomes dry.
- The color should be medium red to dark red. The tint also depends on the age of the animal. For example, veal is light pink and has only a short meat ripening.
- When disassembling the back of the cattle or when purchasing parts, make sure that the bone is not triggered.
- Low water content. The meat should not be moist.
Specialist shop or onlineshop?
Anyone who does his own meat ripening needs absolutely fresh beef. It must not be longer than three days before it comes into the DRY AGER® maturing cabinet. Deciding where to buy is definitely a question of confidence and perhaps even a question of character. There are now many good offers on the Internet. The advantage of online ordering is the professionally organized cooling chain. The personal contact trumps with the butcher business. Here one receives information first hand and with certainty one or the other appropriate trick.